The University of Mary Washington has changed its name five times. The institution was founded in 1908 as the Fredericksburg State Normal and Industrial School for Women. In 1924, the Virginia General Assembly changed the names of normal schools to teachers colleges, so the institution became the State Teachers College at Fredericksbug. In 1938, the name changed to Mary Washington College, and in 1944, when consolidating with the University of Virginia, the name changed again to Mary Washington College of the University of Virginia. After separating from the University of Virginia in 1972, the name reverted back to Mary Washington College. Most recently, in 2004, the instiution became the University of Mary Washington.